Dorea ("Dory") Silverman is of counsel to Colson Law. Ms. Silverman defends individuals in a wide range of federal and state criminal prosecutions, from complex white-collar cases, such as securities violations and health care fraud, to drug offenses and violent felonies. She also represents clients on appeal and in related civil proceedings. In numerous cases, Ms. Silverman has helped clients avoid criminal conviction and harsh sentences.
Ms. Silverman attended Cardozo Law School, where she was an editor of the Law Review and competitively selected to the Criminal Defense and Criminal Appeals Clinics. Ms. Silverman previously practiced with a prominent boutique white-collar defense firm, where she worked on several high profile cases.
Ms. Silverman is admitted to practice in New York State, the United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York and the United States Courts of Appeals for the Second and Third Circuits. She serves on the Criminal Law Committee of the New York City Bar Association and is a member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and the New York State Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.
- Convinced prosecutors not to file charges against an immigration attorney under investigation for visa fraud (Southern District of New York)
- Obtained deferred prosecution agreement for a bank manager charged with a multi-million dollar wire and bank fraud conspiracy (Southern District of New York)
- Achieved noncustodial sentence for client convicted of trafficking in counterfeit goods valued at over $2.5 million (Southern District of New York)
- Served on legal team that won pre-trial dismissal of felony smuggling charge (Eastern District of New York)
- Achieved probationary sentence for client convicted of felony drug trafficking (Southern District of New York)
- Negotiated non-criminal disposition for college student charged with Class B felony drug offenses (New York County)
- Negotiated non-criminal disposition for a high-speed trader charged with felony computer crimes (New York County)
- Negotiated non-criminal disposition for out-of-state resident facing felony assault charges (Westchester County)
- Achieved dismissal based on pre-trial motions for client charged with multiple misdemeanors and violations (New York County)
- Convinced prosecutors to dismiss misdemeanor stalking charges against financial professional (New York County)
- Won pre-trial dismissals of civil complaints alleging director fraud and breach of fiduciary duty in two related shareholders derivative suits (Nassau County and Southern District of New York)
- Won appeal mandating dismissal of action in shareholders derivative suit (Appellate Division, Second Department)